Episode 33: Use the Carrot to Attract Buyers and Sellers
Trevor Mauch cut his teeth in real estate in college and through years of trial and error, learned how to generate leads online effectively through inbound online marketing (to the tune of 84,000+ real estate related leads and counting). He leads the Carrot© team and focuses on helping members get the result they want. But, away from business… Trevor loves mountain biking, golfing, and spends most of his time with his wife and 3 young kids.
It sounds corny… but what fuels Trevor in business and life is impact and being that spark of positivity and possibility that helps amplify leaders to better make their greater impact in life and business.
He’s fortunate enough to have never had a real job for anyone else… but that also means that along the way he’s had to make a ton of his own mistakes. Those mistakes and a handful of core operating principles on how he lives his life have helped him do some pretty fun and cool things in business up to this point. His main business gig is as the Chief Experience Officer (CEO) of Carrot, a software as a service company that helps small businesses easily create a website to generate inbound leads through the internet.
In addition, if you talk to Trevor on the phone you won’t be able to shut him up about how important wrapping mission and impact into your business are. So sharing what he learns along the way to help amplify other leaders to do bigger, better, greater, and more impactful things goes well beyond adding some extra zeros to your bank account…
… but make a lasting difference that starts a ripple of awesomeness in the world.
Other random trivia tidbits…
- Has the most beautiful wife and 3 kids he could ask for. They’re why he does what he does.
- Bought a 4 unit multi-family real estate investment property when he was 21 and in college with only $600 to his name (yep, those infomercials weren’t lying. Crazy huh?). It’s profited every month since then (real estate works!). He doesn’t consider himself a real estate expert though. He’s surround himself with great, ethical, honest, successful investors who are experts… for whom Carrot publishes great training programs.
- Started an entrepreneur co-workspace called “The Loft” in downtown Roseburg… it’s the only office building in town with a waiting list and some amazing things are being created in that space
- Later failed the LSAT to get into law school… twice, and turned back to his roots of entrepreneurship (thank God)
- Received the Presidents Cup in Entrepreneurship at OIT for being the “top college entrepreneur” and 10 years later awarded the Oregon Institute of Technology Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award for this “entrepreneur stuff”. Look ma’, he actually used his degree for what it was meant for! 😉
- Helped take a company to the Inc. 500/5000 list in 2008 (and Carrot is heading that direction too)
- Has a goal to do one thing on his “life list” a month for 10 years so he has time to make a new life list by the time he’s 40… and this is only just beginning.
Once biked across the SW coast of Ireland fueled mainly on Guinness and a full Irish breakfast
Graduated from Oregon Institute of Technology (we call it the MIT of Oregon) with a 3.98 GPA with degrees in Marketing and Entrepreneurship (which was cool at the time, but he later learned it didn’t mean a thing once he graduated)
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Trevor’s background and how he started Carrot
- Why Trevor works with experts and only works on what he’s good at (ex: Trevor doesn’t create websites himself)
- What Carrot does to get you in front of the right people
- Why you need a website for credibility
- Why the right domain name is important
- Carrot’s weekly mastermind sessions
- Why you absolutely need a mentor — and why Trevor wishes he hadn’t waited so long to get one
- How to get a mentor without paying for one