Episode 44: Alternative Wholesaling
Matt Theriault is a USMC “Desert Storm” Veteran who enjoyed 15 successful years in the music business as a record producer and label owner. When the digital download killed the record store, he found virtually everything that he had built become obsolete in a matter of months. The demise of his music business was swift and unforgiving to the point that Matt was forced to start life, personally and professionally, from square one at the age of 34. The transition from a 7-figure year to $7 an hour bagging groceries is a humbling one to say the least.
When the most unlikely of mentors, the grocery store manager, shared with Matt the wisdom “Real estate is the final frontier where the average person has a legitimate shoe at creating real wealth,” he embraced it, ran with it and hasn’t looked back.
Theriault, now an accomplished real estate investor and coach has built a cash flowing real estate portfolio of 100+ units over the last 10 years, is enjoying his financial independence, continues to build his portfolio and has discovered a new passion for creating systems and showing others how to replicate his results.
You will find that his approach to real estate investing is conservative, simple, to the point and efficient. Matt credits his success to performing as much, if not more, due diligence on his real estate team as he does the market and properties themselves.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Matt’s story of how he started his life over
- Why you can’t wait for someone to rescue you
- Why where you are is exactly where you chose to be — and why you can always choose somewhere else
- Why going to college isn’t always the best avenue for learning anymore (at least for business)
- Moving at the speed of instruction
- The countless people that Matt has helped gain financial freedom with real estate
- Why you shouldn’t use their own money
- How Matt helps people find deals in his program
- Working with people when they bring you a deal that isn’t your specialty