Tom Dunkel has been investing full time in alternative assets since 2006 completing over $40MM of transactions. He specializes in fragmented, dislocated markets such as distressed debt and multifamily.
Tom has more than 25 years of real estate and investment experience. Tom is a trusted mentor and educator for investors and entrepreneurs. He teaches a real estate and mortgage note investment class at the CAMA Academy with his business partner, Joe Downs.
Tom attended the University of Delaware and the College of William and Mary for his MBA. He is married with two children and resides in Ardmore, PA.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How Tom managed to do over $35 million in deals over his career, through doing things differently from how everyone else does them
- What Tom’s S.A.F.E. method is and why Tom developed it to help people invest their money smartly and efficiently
- Why finding a good sponsor or mentor is the crucial first step, and why it’s important to do your due diligence when deciding on a sponsor
- How to identify a con through their overpromises, and what three signs to look for when determining if someone is trying to con you
- Why it is important to understand the asset you’re investing in, its valuation and its characteristics, and how you’re investing in it
- Why you should ask yourself how the investment fits within your finances and won’t overexpose you to risk
- Why you need to know what lien position you’re in on a property and what the loan-to-value is
- How to be clear on how you’re going to get paid back for your investment, and when you can expect the payout
- When to plan an exit strategy to get back out of the investment after you’ve made your profits
- Why to listen to your instincts when an opportunity sounds too good to be true, and how to get access to a .pdf file of Tom’s S.A.F.E method template