Josh Elledge is an adult man with a child-like, irrational fear of umbrellas. You could ask him to explain–but if he could–it wouldn’t be an irrational fear, now would it? A nice midwestern boy from Michigan, Josh also used to be fat. Not just chubby, or the owner of a now-trendy “dad bod,” but seriously overweight (ask to see his old drivers’ license photo). Ever the problem solver, he lost 55 lbs through ‘the couponing diet’ and now he enjoys going to restaurants that serve chicken waffles and biscuits, and ordering the salad. Just to test his mental toughness.
Josh is a serial entrepreneur who builds the companies he needs most in the world. In 2014, He launched UpMyInfluence (previously upendPR) to help entrepreneurs like himself attract the perfect audiences and grow their brands without the crazy costs and contracts associated with traditional PR companies. Since then, UpMyInfluence (UMI) has evolved into a purpose-driven platform bent on totally DEMOCRATIZING access to influence. Josh wholeheartedly believes UMI has a moral imperative to help entrepreneurs own their expertise, share their wisdom, and serve the world with their collective messages. Oh, and to help our members grow revenue too!
UMI was the natural outgrowth of his first startup, SavingsAngel.com. Josh founded the consumer savings platform in 2007 to bring in what he most needed at the time (namely, more money). Armed with a background in information technology and Internet development, Josh’s technologic tinkering cut his family-of-five’s monthly grocery bill by half and created the most comprehensive coupon and sale-matching service available. SavingsAngel.com soon become a major operation employing up to 50 employees and grossing more than $6 million in sales with less than $500 in advertising spent.
When other entrepreneurs began knocking on his door desperate for the magic formula that would bring similar success, his new mission in life was born! Today, Josh is known as one of the foremost experts in online influence and authority. He’s personally worked with hundreds of entrepreneurs – working to turn them into media celebrities.
Never shy in front of an audience, Josh is a frequent speaker at business and startup conferences including Social Media Marketing World and a Tony Robbins event for his Business Mastery grads. He’s appeared as an electrifying podcast guest more than 100 times. He’s a weekly consumer expert on Fox 35 Orlando and News 13, writes a syndicated column for nine newspapers (with total readership above 1.1 million readers), and regularly appears on more than 75 TV stations across the country. All told, Josh has appeared in the media more than 2000 times.
Passionate about his family, physical fitness (an avid fitness geek and 5K to marathon runner), and breaking out of Escape Rooms, Josh now lives in Orlando with his wife and three children.
The Michigan native’s exuberance and natural curiosity have fueled his life’s work as a journalist, technology specialist, entrepreneur and service-oriented family man. Josh served in the US Navy and earned a Bachelor’s of Science degree in family science/therapy from Brigham Young University.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How Josh’s experiences as a Navy journalist transitioned into his career in the media post-military
- How Josh’s business helps entrepreneurs master social media, work with influencers, and build their brand visibility
- Why many business owners tend to overvalue media visibility, and why the reality is very different
- Josh shares examples of successes his business has had in promoting clients’ relationships with influencers
- Why the secret to successful influencer engagement is to set sales aside and ask how you can serve the influencer
- How Josh’s process works, how he advises new clients, and what the “first steps” are
- Why it’s critical to keep your website professional-looking and up-to-date, and to refresh it every three years
- Why you should look to take your LinkedIn profile to the next level to ensure its visibility
- Why drive and a constant focus on follower growth is critical, and why you should hire out if you don’t have the time or drive
- How to get 15 minutes of Josh’s time to take a look at your social media presence and find opportunities to improve